Welcome to My Blog!

The purpose of my blog is to provide encouragement to those of you who are working to relieve your PTSD symptoms through therapy. Although I try hard to present my information in a way that will be least likely to trigger anyone's PTSD symptoms, I cannot be sure that this will not happen. If you are in extreme emotional distress, please contact your therapist or call 911. I am not a therapist; I am merely a writer who has PTSD and who, like some of you, is working hard to find relief. Therapy IS helping me find this relief, and I am trying to spread the word so others will get help! For more information on this topic, please see my website at http://www.jfairgrieve.com/. Best wishes . . . Jean

Therapy is revisiting the "Happy" in "Happy Birthday."

Therapy is revisiting the "Happy" in "Happy Birthday."
Jean, Age One

Saturday, June 11, 2011

It's Saturday, June 11th, and my message for you today is--if you are working in therapy toward reducing your PTSD symptoms--hang in there! Getting the relief is so worth it!

When I began this therapy about a year ago with a person who specializes in helping people suffering from PTSD and other trauma damage, I was doubtful. After all, I'm over seventy years old now, and I've been having the symptoms since childhood: how on earth will I be able to do anything about them now?? But I was determined to enjoy a few more years of life without the misery of flashbacks and all the other symptoms of PTSD.

Besides--I was angry! Other people in my life had done the damage to me, so why should I let them continue to abuse me? Granted, these people were no longer in my life, but
as long as I let the symptoms damage the quality of my life, I was, in a sense, allowing the perpetrators to continue abusing me. That was my reasoning. Thus, I decided to give therapy one more try, but this time I was going to get help from somebody who truly was skilled and experienced enough to help me. I am SO glad I did this!

Future posts will include more specific evidence that this therapy is helping. For now, I will simply say that it does work for me, and it can work for you, too. If you live in the Portland, Oregon, area, type "PTSD therapy Portland Oregon trauma" or some such string into your search engine. You should get hits that include the names of therapists, clinics, and organizations that will help you find the right therapist with appropriate skills. Send me a comment and let me know how it's going.
Good luck!
Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment